(humming Steve Winwood's song...)The other night Sam and I went to our oldest boys' football game. It was against our rivals. We lost. Sigh...I hate it when that happens. Those boys were so bummed...
But that has nothing to do with this post. Except that another mom and I were talking about the fact that our oldest are now freshmen in high school. And we were commiserating the fact that our firstborns were in kindergarten just a year ago. Well, ok, it was longer ago than that. But it seems like last year. And they were so little! And now they're so BIG! And they just don't want their mamas showing up on the first day of school to hold their hand and walk them into their first class. And you know what? That's just the way it is. Life moves on. Kids grow up.
Us parents grow up, too, right? I mean, look back to when I first held that newborn. I don't know about you, but I was SOOOO young. Even at 29. Even though I had waited 7 years for that first baby. I was clueless. And now that newborn is a FRESHMAN.
This is my sixth grader...sigh...where has the time gone?
This sweet guy of mine is now in fifth grade. Man how he loved that Buzz Lightyear.Carried it with him everywhere. Saying, "To infibbidy and deyon!"
And my baby. Now in second grade. And THAT is just too hardto fathom. I'm tellin' you, it was YESTERDAY I was walking around
with him in a baby sling...
I know there are plenty of you out there who are thinking, "Been there, done that". And I know this is just another phase of life. But what we all have in common is that mother-instinct that makes us so wistful as we realize how quickly life passes by.
A very sweet friend called me to share her heart with me. Her firstborn started kindergarten. It was his first day and she was home all day just dying to know how he was doing. I was so privileged to share that moment with her. To remember that feeling of wanting to be right there with them and experiencing their first school day by their side. But for some reason, the teacher just doesn't want us there. Like we would get in the way. Or help them with everything. And we would! Because that is what we have always done up to this point. And now all of a sudden we are just supposed to let someone else be their instructor and nurturer. Without us there to see that it's done right!
So we have to wait...for them to come home and tell us about their day. And hopefully we get more than, "It was fine." Hopefully we get some details. Like how much fun it was to make new friends. And that their desk is right by the bathroom "just in case". And that Thursday is ice cream day. And, by the way, that they LOVE school!
And then they get to high school. When we have to acknowledge, very reluctantly, that they are moving toward adulthood. And independence. And driving.
So, as I hum the song, I realize that I have to accept that we all grow up. And I will trust God that He will protect and guide my children when they are out of my care. Because He promises to keep them in His care.
And that's just the way it is...




7 comments:
Our trust and His grace go hand in hand...
I love this post. And can SO relate. My boys are 10 and 15 and, yes, we just begun the driving thing. He got his permit in June. I was just thinking recently about how much I've grown up right along with them and thinking that I hope that they forgive me for the mistake(s) I've made along the way.
You know what? Those pictures of your kiddos are the images that come to my mind when I think of them... not the true image of what they have grown into! Isn't that funny?
Sometimes I can be looking across a field, parking lot, gymnasium (wherever)... looking for one of my two. And I can't find their shape. Know what I mean? And then I do... and it shocks my mama brain because it's not the image of that little body that my brain still holds onto. They've grown into the bodies of a young adults. (I've got to stop feeding them! Ha!)
Larry and I were just talking recently that in less time than we've lived in Texas, both of our kids will be grown and gone (or almost gone)!
And THAT's just the way it is!
Love you,
YBFA&F
This post brings back lots of memories. Yes, they grow up fast.
But God has eased that "pain" with a super adult relationship with my daughter and a FABULOUS grandaughter. God meets our needs at every stage of life.
It's so true how quickly they grow up. My babies are now 24 & 22.
Tagges you for a meme at Beachy Mimi
To infibbiddy and deyon... HAH! Precious post!
Post a Comment