Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Take Me Out to the Waterpark!

Well, we did it. We finally took the plunge (pun intended). We went to a waterpark. No, we didn't drive 5 hours to get there. We didn't do it while in another state on vacation. We actually live 20 minutes from one of the best waterparks on the east coast. Now, to give us credit, it just opened 3 years ago. Our other reason for waiting so long to try it out: we were clueless. I mean, we had NO idea how enjoyable it would be. And how worth the admission price it would be. And how much FUN we would all have--especially the kids!



Here's my little guy being shy for the camera. He's not having fun at all. He just went down the "AWESOME" black-hole type slide (in his words, "You can't see your hand in front of your face, Mom!"). I did not ride this one. I just cheered him on each time he came out the end: "Yea! You made it out alive!" I knew I wouldn't if I tried it. That's why I didn't ride that one...Yeah, I'm a big sissy girl. And proud of it.

This is my middle child. He fits all the textbook attributes: fun-loving, sociable, and flexible. And something the textbooks don't mention...competitive. I mean, after all, other people were doing it. And they didn't die (ok, maybe he didn't think that last one. I did.). So he got in line and watched. When it was his turn, he just caught that wave like he'd been doing it for years. I was impressed! He made it look so easy, I thought maybe I could do it and not die. Naaaa...


Speaking of competition, my oldest and my youngest raced with me on the outdoor racing slide. Did I mention I am a scaredy cat? I walked up to the top of this thing (40 feet up!) and contemplated how I could get out of going down any way but the steps I took up. But there was no way out without showing my innermost fears. I gulped quite a few times as I watched the others ahead of us go down, acting like it was fun. I pasted a smile on my face and pretended to be excited to go down that first time. I mean, you have to go head-first. It's the rules. Who made up these rules? Obviously not the scaredy cats of the park. Must be the dare devil middle children of the park. All that to say: IT WAS FUN! And I didn't die! Yea for me!


And there were these inner-tube rides that would scare the bejesus (is that a sacrilegious word? If so, I apologize!) out of anyone. Especially me, the scaredy cat. But you would all be proud: I went down the black-hole type inner-tube ride! Not by myself, and not until the very end of the day after gathering up the courage for 9 hours or so. And not until Sam was there to talk me into it. And not until he called me a sissy (Kidding. I think he really called me a baby. As in, "don't be a baby."). But by then I was good and ready. And I didn't even scream all the way down. I just said "Holy Cow!!!" over and over until we came out the end. Or should I say DROPPED out the end. And I didn't die. Thank the Lord. But I didn't try it again. No sense tempting fate, right?

We finally left after spending almost 12 hours there. We sure got our money's worth! And we were pooped! Sam summed up what we were all feeling as we left:

"Wonder if you can get season passes at a decent price. That was a blast!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!!!!! I would have never guessed you were a "scaredy cat", Steph!!!!

Michele

Dawn said...

Oh, my goodness! I am laughing so hard - hope I'm not disturbing my sleeping parents!!!

I think you're going to have to rename your blog: Sissy. Or, Baby.

Next summer: You. Me. Kids. Cedar Point. Coasters.

Keep writing like this and your blog is going to get quite the following!!!