We have a screened-in porch on the back of our home. It is absolutely my favorite room in the house 3 seasons out of the year. I love to sit out there, even on chilly mornings, sipping my coffee and (when I am being disciplined) having my daily study or (when I'm not so disciplined--sad to say too often) reading my Christian fiction novel. This is the best way to start the day!
My cat, Gypsy, usually joins me and watches the birds--her favorite pastime!

So one morning a couple weeks ago I noticed that the dove activity was more than usual. So did Gypsy. If you don't have doves at your home, just suffice it to say they are pleasantly noisy when they are out and about doing their thing. They have this "coo" thing and this wing-fluttering thing and just general but gentle noisiness. Anyhow, this particular morning they were back and forth from the roof of the porch to the Mimosa tree next to it. This caused Gypsy no end of neck-craning activity for at least an hour (yes, I was being very lazy that morning as I lounged on the porch reading). I finally got up to look and see what they were doing.
I discovered they had been pulling up the dead daffodil leaves; you know--those long reed-like leaves that die and turn brown after the flowers bloom. And since it was raining, those leaves were soft and pliable. And they had worked very hard to turn them into a beautiful nest. I was impressed. I pictured Mr. Dove saying to Mrs. Dove, "Honey, it's all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! It's right by the feeders, up high and safe. It's perfect!"
And so they settled down to prepare for their little ones' arrival. Until one day, a few days later, I looked out the window to see this:
I know what you are thinking--"Wait a minute! That is not a turtle dove. It looks more like a robin!" Well, it is. She hijacked-er, nest-jacked- that cozy home the doves had worked so hard at building. I was really upset. How unfair! But the outrage passed. Because I was excited that the robin would lay her eggs and I could be a peeping-Steph and watch the eggs hatch and see her with the babies! Yea for me!
One day the kids and I came home and it was in the middle of a "gully-washer". I mean, the type you need to wait for the rain to slow down just so you can run 3 feet into the garage without getting soaked to the skin. Well, I looked out the laundry room window and peeked at Mama Robin. There she was, all puffed up and completely filling up the opening of the nest. I thought, "What a good mama...she's protecting her eggs from the monsoon.". Later that day I looked out again (I am really sounding like I have nothing better to do...) and I saw this:
MOMMMMMYYYYYY??????
(I can't help but wonder...if I popped into the tree, would he look at me and say, "ARE YOU MY MOTHER?")
Click on this video to see what baby birds do while waiting for their Mama:
They get all cleaned up, that's what! Such good babies...
And yea for me! I have so much fun just watching. It doesn't take much to amuse me...sigh...


4 comments:
I love your porch! I'd spend a ton of time there too! Wish we were closer and I'd love to sit there and catch up on the past____ yrs!!!
Ahhh...I love the bird story...thanks for the awesome pics too!
M :)
PS - I love your kitty too! I have one that looks just like her!
M :)
Hello!
I am so jealous! First, a screened porch. Then, temps that are comfortable to spend so much time out there. And don't even get me started on the trees. I miss having tons of trees in my yard.
Oh, well.
As you know, we have doves, too. I love to watch them. And the squirrels. They fret poor Max to no end, though!!!
I think M and I should coordinate a visit to you. Fall?
Love you!
YBFA&F
Hey, you two! I agree...we should coordinate a visit. That would be a blast...a blast from the past...oh, that sounded so corny!
Love you,
Steph
Post a Comment