
Dear friends,
I need your thoughts. I need your input. Apparently I just can't think for myself, so I really need your comments to work through this one...I was posed this question by a close friend:
If they are classified as moral issues, then if you disagree, are you immoral?
Hmmm....
Good question.
Difficult to answer.
This is a very close friend. And we disagree on election candidates. And election platforms. And election issues.
The reason she asked this question is because of what I said immediately prior.
Now, let me stop right here. This post is not about my political affiliation. Or who I am going to vote for. But this was a conversation based around the debate last week.
Ok, now back to my story...
So we were discussing the debate. I stated that I was actually disappointed in both candidates in that they skirted questions and gave typical vague responses. I just hate that. Makes me stop listening and start reading blogs instead. Right in the middle of the debate.
Anyhow, this is what I said:
"I just have a hard time with Obama, because if nothing else, I need to vote my heart on the moral issues, and I strongly disagree with his stand."
To which she said, "I have a hard time with that. If you are calling them moral issues, then anyone who disagrees with you is immoral."
Fortunately, or unfortunately, the phone rang at that moment and she answered it. We never broached the subject again.
So, help me out here! I'd love to hear your comments on this. Remember, this is a very close friend. I want to take a stand, but not make her feel like I am declaring her immoral. You know what I mean?
Signed,
"Tiptoeing thru the politics..."


11 comments:
Eww... I really hate these kinds of discussions because they really are a lose/lose type of conversation, ya know?
And, you didn't say whether or not this person is a believer. If so, then I'd most likely be a little more blunt in my answer. So, if she's a believer, and the question is whether or not a position is a "moral" issue and can be supported by Scripture, then yes perhaps her position is immoral. Note, I did say her 'positiion' not 'she' is immoral. Maybe that would take the sting out of it.
If she is not a believer, then perhaps it needed to be explained to her that you base your 'moral' decisions on what you interpret the Bible to say on subjects. And, that for you, anything contrary to God's Word is immoral.
Something about politics these days just makes you feel like you need to go take a bath, doesn't it?!
We're overdue a phone conversation - can't be today, though. I picked Kat up from school a little while ago following a phone call from the school nurse to inform me that she had thrown up in her office. She's been home about 90 minutes and so far, she's been okay and napping. I think we're going to try some broth here in a little while.
Blessings!
PS - So the pics you suggested I look at - not sure what you were looking for. Sounds like not much has changed, probably. Have you two emailed?
Looks like we are all staying away from this one!!!! I do like Dawn's answer though! :o)
-M
Thanks for you input...I think we have to be very good at "agreeing to disagree" when it comes to friends and politics--especially when you don't agree!
After 2 debates of misleading statements or outright lies, I am about to abstain from voting! Both sides are at fault. I went to factcheck.org this morning and read for myself what was said that was true. Not much, that's for sure...sigh...
And, bless her heart (Dawn says that, in Texas, if you start a comment that way, it makes it ok...) if Sarah Palin says "NU-CUE-LAR" one more time I'm going to SCREAM! I was told that they even put it on her teleprompter at the convention like this: "NEW-CLEAR"
Sorry, it's one of two word-slaughters that are my pet peeves. The other is RE-LA-TOR. No, it is REAL-TOR.
(Getting down off my soapbox)
Thank you for your attention.
Hmmm...
Well, bless your heart... if you ever decide to move to Texas, I know a RE-LA-TOR who does a NU-CUE-LAR job at finding just the right home.
I crack myself up some days! *snort!*
PS - Fact Check is a good place to start when checking the facts. However, even they tend to take a liberal slant. Take a look at where their writers have worked previously: CNN, Time, PBS, etc. None of those places are exactly known for their non-bias or conservative values. Not disagreeing with you, just saying.
I would tell her you are not saying she is immoral.....because she does have morals (most everyone does) BUT your moral values and hers could look quiet different. You are voting for your moral issues based on your belief in God and His Word. She may have never thought about it in that way.
You have posed a good question for us all to thank through! Great post.
wow. and I thought *I* asked tough questions ;D For the record, I think you worded it *very* well. You said vote *my* heart on the moral issues. It's a conscience thing. As such Romans 15 (or 16? I always forget) comes to mind. So you are not saying *she* is immoral. Also, in politics, there is no "perfect" and "moral" candidate, seeing as they are human, so it's always doing the best with what you are given. She may be more concerned about a different policy than you, and her candidate's stand may be stronger in the area of *that* policy. Or not. (I'm completely out of the loop on the american campaign, so I should probably keep my mouth shut!)
Dawns first response was well put. You are not calling her or someone else immoral, but their stand on the issue.
It is a tricky subject.
It's a hard call and then again it's easy also...we all need to be careful not to take words out of context.
I understood what you were saying, this persons...didn't.
Maybe I would say something like..."I don't understand or even see that HE serves the Lord as I do..and because of this..I question it?"
Enough said...now on to a better subject, ARE YOU SOOO READY FOR FALL OR WHAT!
Happy Fall!
Hey, you guys! I don't know what happened, but I just now received comments made last week! Is that weird, or what?? I've never had that happen before.
Thank you for all your input---those responses were great.
And, YES!!!!, I am SOOOO ready for and enjoying Fall. The leaves will be peak this weekend---Enjoy, all who live where the leaves change. For the rest, we will soak it up for you and try to pass it along in our posts...
Oh man. Tough conversation. I haven't talked politics on my blog because people are so divided right down the middle and I don't think you can change minds. It just causes discussion that goes no where fast.
Maybe the word should not be 'moral'... seems like we can't legislate morality since it is a heart issue. But what word would suffice? I am not sure about that either. Ethics maybe?
I won't be able to vote for Obama either and I am certainly not voting for McCain because of Palin... I am voting for McCain because HE is the best choice given.
Post a Comment