Yes, the peeping-Steph has been busy watching those adorable little babies. And I have been amazed at what a good mama they have! She is busy, busy, busy watching over those little ones.
I was a little concerned about the location for her alleged nest-snatching (have to use the correct legal term lest I be sued, you know), because of all the other birds that use that tree to feed. We have grackles here, and they are ruthless (we watched helplessly one day as they tore apart a rabbit's nest and attacked the babies...that's a story for another day!)
So we just didn't refill the feeders and that made for a quieter surrounding for those little cuties. And I tell ya, every time another bird even thought about coming into that tree--she told them what for! If that didn’t work, she went after them and told them more what for as she chased them away. And then she'd come back and preen those little guys. In "Mom World", she'd be one of those moms that would spit on a tissue and wipe her child's face. (This suddenly brings back an unpleasant childhood memory...excuse me for a moment...ok, I'm back) She must have done that preening so often, they caught on and did it themselves all the live long day.
She must give them strict instructions when she leaves the nest: "Now, children, while I'm gone I expect you to make yourselves spic and span! Don't let me come home and find you with feathers sticking out everywhere!" And those little guys would go to work. All day long, picking and plucking, preening and pruning, just to please their mother. It's the cutest thing! And yea for me--I get to watch right out my laundry room window!
All this to say--- I thought you'd like to see how BIG they are getting. I mean, those four are packed into that little nest of theirs. I don't know how she sits on them at night.
They should be "flying the coop" soon! I'll let you know when they do. I hope I can capture some of those first flights on film!
This is the tree they are in. It's a Mimosa tree, and it's the prettiest tree about 3 months out of the year.
The other months it is hideous. I mean downright ugly. It's during those months that we talk about chopping it down and digging up the stump.
Then we remember how beautiful it is when it decides to show off:
So we don't chop it down. Or dig up the stump. We give it a reprieve and are so glad we did when it comes alive again.
Now I can see why that mama robin allegedly ripped off that nest. She knew it would be a perfect backdrop for her sweet little babies...sigh...


1 comment:
Wow! They really are growing quite fast!
Are you eye-level with the nest or are you having to use a zoom lense? Just curious since the paparazzi doesn't seem to be bothering them.
By the way, I'm resisting urge to rib you about all the time you must have to be sittin' around watching/photographing those birds all day. Oops! I guess I just did, didn't I?! Hehe!!! (And you're eating your bonbons while you do it, right?)
Love you!
YBFA&F
Post a Comment