Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Doan Wanna Be a Sheppurrduh!


Guess what time it is, people...

It's Christmas Pageant time! Yes, that time of year when we announce play parts and pull the bins of costumes and props out. After dusting off the lid, we sort through all those wadded up shepherd tunics, bent angel halos, and furry sheep ears. You know, those costumes I was going to organize over the summer so that I didn't have to do it last minute right before we needed to use them again . I'm sure none of you can relate.

Hi, my name is Stephanie, and I am a PROCRASTINATOR.

Well, I actually didn't do too badly. After all, this year I am not only in charge of the costumes and props, I am in charge of the whole shebang! So I promptly asked for volunteers to do the costumes and props. I even got a volunteer to be stage manager. Woohoo! Don't know what she'll do, exactly, but I'll find something very important. Like run the show on the Big Day. I'll just sit in the audience with my camera and watch the adorable spectacle with all the other parents who think their child is so adorable as they pick their nose and stare at the child next to them, who is singing at the top of their lungs...off key.

But you know what? That is what makes children's programs so special. The unpredictability of what will happen in that 45 minutes. And the inevitable laugh that wasn't meant to be a funny part in the play. But the way the lines are delivered, you just can't help but chuckle.

Our church does this cool type of play called "Instant Pageant, just add kids". It is a CD with all the music, dialog, and sound effects. You just give the kids the CD to listen to and the script to look at that tells them where to stand, how to walk, and what to point at. Then they just move their mouth and their body based on the script. No lines to memorize, no organist needed, and no special effects guy to hire. I'm glad somebody thought of that! Yay for us!

Today, I went around to all the classes and assigned everyone their part, handed out the script and CD, and told them to listen to the CD lots this week. Wonder if they will...We only have 5 weeks to get it down pat!

So, the parts have been assigned and practice starts next Sunday. Pray for me. Really. The kids are really excited. I'm just glad I got the parts assigned to the right kids...I had some guidance in that area. He's about 7 years old. He shall remain nameless. And he made himself very clear:

I DOAN WANNA BE A SHEPPURRDUH!

No problem, here's some fluffy sheep's ears. Now go practice saying, "BAAAHHHH!"


6 comments:

Dawn said...

I am sitting here chuckling! How sweet!!!

I'll never forget the year I DID get out of helping with the kids' Christmas program... only to be called up to the church in the middle of the dress rehearsal because Kat had thrown up on the stage. Yep, that was a fine moment for both of us!

Seriously, I love the idea of no lines for the kids and everything on a CD. That is genious! You just *know* it was some mother who had done the thing ONE TOO MANY times! Ha ha!!!

Blessings!

Nadine said...

Too funny = I love the title. I've been there in your shoes - I pray it all goes well.

nikkicrumpet said...

LOL....how does he feel about being the sheep? May God bless you in this endeavor...you are a very brave woman!

j said...

Aw! He looks cute as a sheppurrduh or a SHEEEEPuh.

He could make a rockin country preacher one day... can he saw GAW-duh?

You are so brave to take on the play. I just don't think that I have it in me.

Dawn said...

Steph,

Go here: http://fiddledeedee.net/

Read back through at least the last 10 or so posts.

Love you,
YBFA&F

WendyDarling said...

LOL... That is too cute! I remember doing those pageants as well, and I did direct ONE once, and my nephew made a very cute shepherd. LOL... We put a towel on his head and he looked a lot like Linus in Charlie Brown. ;-) LOL... somehow, they all end up looking like Linus.... ;-)

I'll be praying for you. :-)