Lest you misunderstand that I am a canine-only lover, I will set the record straight. Although we do have two of those species, we also have two of the feline variety. We are equal-opportunity pet owners. And these kitties bring us much joy as well, just in a VERY different way!
We have discovered that cats are just fun to watch. Especially when they are all fired up. Now, let me clarify that we only have one cat that gets that way. The other one? Well, let's just say he is lacking in, um, energy.
This is Gypsy. She adopted us this past December. We found out that she was living in our bushes, and that she was very hungry. After a couple days of her camping out in our yard, Sam let her into the house. She curled up on the couch and made herself at home. We reported having her to the local SPCA, but they never received any calls for her. So we named her for the wandering lifestyle she led before coming to live with us. Every once in a while, she zips out the door between our feet and won't come home until her wander lust is satisfied (or until it starts to downpour or it's time for her next meal...)
This is Muffin. Or should I say Jabba the Hut? This lovable (but zero-personality) cat came to us as a little bitty kitten. The vet told us he was a she, so we named "her" Muffin. When we took "her" to get spade, we were informed that the correct procedure on our male cat is called "neutering"! So Muffin the boy-cat might have a complex. Hence the weight and lack of sociability with his captors.
Muffin loves the dogs and will sleep right next to Boomer. One of his "activities" (I use that term loosely) is lying behind Cody and swiping at his tail as it goes back and forth.
Gypsy hates the dogs. Hates them. Zero tolerance. Has plans for their demise. She will lie in wait around the corner just to jump out and claw at them while she hisses. Not a nice kitty to those puppies. Of all four of the animals, she is the one who rules, that's for sure!
The funniest thing about having cats is when they get full of themselves. It is so entertaining. Gypsy will "halloween" straight up in the air and then take off mid-air. Poor unsuspecting Muffin never knows what hits him. She won't quit until he gets under a low table where she can't get to him. This is how poor Muffin just tries to spend quality time with Gypsy:
These are not everyday occurrences. Most of the time everyone lives together in peace and harmony. But there is such a difference between dogs and cats. You've probably seen this before, but it never fails to make me chuckle. Here's a peek into their minds:
EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DAILY DIARY:
8:00 a.m. Oh, boy! Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 a.m. Oh, boy! A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 a.m. Oh, boy! A walk! My favorite thing!
10:30 a.m. Oh, boy! Getting rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
11:30 a.m. Oh, boy! Dog food! My favorite thing!
Noon - Oh, boy! The kids! My favorite thing!
1:00 p.m. Oh, boy! The yard! My favorite thing!
4:00 p.m. Oh, boy! To the park! My favorite thing!
5:00 p.m. Oh, boy! Dog food! My favorite thing!
5:30 p.m. Oh, boy! Pretty Mums! My favorite thing!
6:00 p..m. Oh, boy! Playing ball! My favorite thing!
6:30 a.m. Oh, boy! Watching TV with my master! My favorite thing!
8:30 p.m Oh, boy! Sleeping in master's bed! My favorite thing!
EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DAILY DIARY:
Day 183 of My Captivity:
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.
Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair, must try this on their bed.
Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts....They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was. Hmmm, not working according to plan.
There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More importantly, I overheard that my confinement was due to my power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.
I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured.
But I can wait, it is only a matter of time.


2 comments:
So, so cute! And, of course, I can totally relate to the "catatude."
It was fun to see the diary again. Hadn't seen that in a while.
Hey, doesn't someone have a BIRTHDAY soon? I sure hope so since I mailed a package today to the birthday girl!
Love you! YBFA&F
That was such a cute post! I've had both cats and dogs and you are exactly right. Cats are just so much entertainment.
Post a Comment