Saturday, July 5, 2008

Random Thoughts: The Last of the Robin Pics...I Promise!

So it may seem that I have become slightly obsessed with these birds. I really haven't. I can quit anytime. Really. You don't have to worry. I will not become the "Crazy Bird Lady". At least not until another bird decides that our mimosa tree is the perfect location. And steals that nest. At least not until then.

So finally, on Independence Day, the little robin hatchlings flew the coop! How appropriate! And just like the fireworks, I had a front-row seat (window). It's eye-level with their nest, so I don't even have to strain to watch. My cat joins me...just sits right on the dryer and peers out. And "meow"s a very mournful "meow"...

There was Baby #1. He was independent from the beginning. The first to preen, the first to venture out onto the nest ledge, and the first to hop out of the nest onto the nearest branch. So I was not surprised to see him as the first to gain his independence. And boy, did the others watch how he did it. Then mama came with snacks. After all, watching this kind of show gave you the munchies. (So I went and ate my breakfast)


Baby #2 always wanted to keep up with #1. Very competitive. So off he went onto his own little branch. Can you see them? Two are in the nest at the bottom left of the picture. Baby #1 is above them, and baby #2 is on the right:
Baby #3 waited until mama had taken #1 & 2 for flying lessons. Then he decided to try out his skills. Eventually, mama took him for flying lessons, too!

This is mama calling for him: "You can do it...come to mama..."
Now, you know what they say about the last baby. Spoiled, lazy, waiting for someone else to do it for them. Well, that describes baby #4. We had a downpour between baby #3 and baby #4 getting out of the nest. So that mama went between the other three (where did she take them I wonder?) and sitting on that full-grown baby in the nest, covering him with her wings. What a good mama.... As of last night, #4 was still in the nest.

And this morning? No babies, no mama. Empty nest.

And I am experiencing Empty Nest Syndrome. Again. Only this time, it's not my children, so it's not as bad. I feel like a proud peeping-Steph. I'm sure their gaining independence on Independence Day had everything to do with wanting to get away from that camera! And my staring. I'm sure they wondered if I had better things to do. I wondered that myself...

Well, that's why I call it Random Thoughts. Aren't you glad I shared?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww....how sweet. Thanks for sharing, Steph! I was thinking you probably spend a lot of time in the laundry room having 6 kids!!!!! :)

-M

Dawn said...

Whew! Now you can get back to eating your bonbons full time! He he!

I'm sure your kitty will miss seeing the little birds as much as you.

And, yes... glad you shared!

Love you,
YBFA&F