Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Early Bird Gets...The Goodies!


This morning, Sam and I got up early, poured some coffee in our travel mugs, and headed out to the Farmers Market. It was such a beautiful day. And I was so glad Sam joined me--it was much more fun with him along!

I can't believe we've never gone! There were so many yummy things there...Lots of produce (obviously!) and plants, bakery items, even goat cheese. We didn't make it to the goat cheese booth, but Sam found two bakery booths that made his mouth water.

One was an Eastern European bakery that had many delicious-looking baked goods that I had never heard of or even seen before. Sam chose the Ahiska Pahlava (sounds like I just sneezed...)


which he was told was like baklava. We'll see. He didn't taste it yet. Just left it here at home for me to stare at. In the cupboard. Way in the back. You don't know what I have to do to ignore that little voice...can you hear it? "eat me....eat me...you know you want to..."


The other bakery booth had a long line. Sam commented that it must be good, with so many people lined up. All these sweet-looking ladies with baskets over their arms, or little cloth bags, waiting and visiting. They gave us the scoop while we were in line. It turns out that this local woman emails what bread she is bringing to everyone that signed up to be on her list. Then they show up in droves to be the first (we were there around 7:30am when she opened) to get her special bread. Today, she had Whole Wheat Artisan bread, Ricotta bread (that has got to be good), Cinnamon Raisin Walnut bread, and (I already forget the name of it) White Artisan-with-lots-of-seeds-in-it-bread. We came home with the Cinnamon Raisin Walnut and the seedy one.

And they have joined their bready voices with the previously mentioned sweet fried goody...Yes, they are in the same cupboard and are conspiring as I write. Evil bready things. Evil yummy sweet fried things...

Anyhow, if you can't already tell, I am watching what I am eating right now. A little too much marital bliss has led to broader hips, legs, arms, and all those other parts that grow when you put on the pounds. Except, of course, that upper body area that doesn't get bigger as you do, but sure shrinks fast when you lose the weight! What's up with that?

ANYHOW, I'll move on. The point is, I found lots of yummy veggies to keep me honest in my endeavor to eat healthier. There were heirloom tomatoes (I decided to try three different kinds)


carrots, eggplants (I love them roasted and then sauteed...maybe I'll do a recipe in another blog), baby red onions, and a basil plant.

I can't wait to put these veggies to good use!

Oh, and the last veggie I purchased was a squash I think is of the variety of patty pan squash. At least that's what the guy told me. Doesn't Gypsy make the perfect prop for my little squash?

Maybe my kitty is a veggie lover, too. She sure was checking out the purchases.
On second thought, I think she was going for those evil bready things next to the veggies. She's my kind of gal...

5 comments:

Nadine said...

Hi. I read Dawn Writes and suggested I stop by.

Nice to meet you. I love the Farmer's Market. The pastry and breads look very yummy.

Dawn said...

I'M BAAAAAAACK!!!

The Island was gorgeous - perfect weather every second we were there.

Mom and Brownie are here 'til Tuesday. Can't wait to catch up with you - maybe Wednesday morning?

Love you! YBFA&F

Genijer said...

I came over from Dawn's blog to visit yours. Great blog and I will be visiting often, just not when I'm hungry.

I hope you don't mind but I'm putting your blog on my sidebar for fast access from my blog.

Beachy Mimi said...

Hi, I came over from Dawn's blog. I love the Farmer's Market, too! I'll be coming back.

Nadine said...

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I will be doing a book giveaway as soon as the book is available for distribution. I'm hoping that it will done by November. Thank you again.