Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independence Day!


When Was the 4th of July First Celebrated?

Did ya ever even wonder?

For some reason, this is the year that I kept hearing about the fact that Independence Day should not be celebrated on the fourth of July. I'm not sure why we're dwelling on that fact. The way I figure it, it doesn't really matter what day we celebrate, just that we do!

I mean, it's very important to me to be patriotic, wear red-white-and blue clothing, and stuff myself with yummy patriotic food. It would be un-American to shun this very important date. It would be VERY un-American to not stuff myself with yummy patriotic food. Like anything grilled, potato salad, pasta salad, watermelon, potato salad, corn-on-the-cob, lemonade, potato salad, and all the other food items that make you want to stand up, put your hand on your heart, and belt out the National Anthem!

So I salute you, America! For the freedom you stand for and for the blessings we have just living within your borders. I thank God for the freedom to worship where and when I please. And, of course, for the yummy food that is a tradition in our nation, especially on this patriotic day.

A little history trivia for you:
John Adams predicted in a letter to his wife Abigail that Americans would celebrate their Independence Day on July 2.

On July 2, 1776, Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, signed only by Charles Thompson (the secretary of Congress) and John Hancock (the presiding officer). Two days later Congress approved the revised version and ordered it to be printed and distributed to the states and military officers. The other signatures would have to wait.

The following year, no member of Congress thought about commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence until July 3 - one day too late. So the first organized elaborate celebration of independence occurred the following day: July 4, 1777, in Philadelphia. Ships in the harbor were decked in the nation's colors. Cannons rained 13-gun salutes in honor of each state. And parades and fireworks spiced up the festivities.

Fireworks did not become staples of July 4 celebrations until after 1816, when Americans began producing their own pyrotechnics and no longer relied on expensive fireworks from across the pond.

Since 1777, the tradition of celebrating America's independence on July 4 has continued.

So now you know why we celebrate on the Fourth of July. As long as we celebrate, I'm happy. Now pass the potato salad...please? Thank you!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Happy 4th of July to you! It's my favorite holiday, right behind Christmas only.

We're having neighbors over this evening for BBQ (Rudy's - the worst BBQ in Texas, of course!) and all the fixin's. Then, we'll carivan to watch the fireworks.

Wish you could join us!