Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fun at Mimi's



Over the long weekend, while celebrating Mimi's birthday, we hit the beach and the boardwalk--of course this included funnel cake, Boardwalk fries, fresh lemonade, salt-water taffy (ok, that doesn't even sound good...salt water in candy? Yuk! Sorry. just my opinion. Which is not important.), and watching people getting henna tatoos.

The boys went boating with their aunt, uncle, and cousins and loved it. They especially loved going FAST! Thanks, Uncle M!

I am getting to the age where I don't participate in all kid/teen activities. I always swore I wouldn't become a fuddy-duddy when I became a parent. You know, the parents that just watch. The ones that say, "Oh, you go on and do that. I'll just watch." You know those kind. And the older you get, the more you become those kind.

I am that way with rides at the amusement parks (Dawn, my hat is off to you, sister!). And getting in the ocean. And diving off the diving board. And roller skating.



But not go-karting! No sir, I am not too old for that. I had a blast on the Grand Prix go-kart track! Maybe it has to do with my lead-foot driving mentality. I love getting out there and beating everyone on the track. No speed limit, no braking on the curves, no holds barred! Then I realize it is only Sam's youngest and I on the track, and I'm getting excited about beating an 11 yr. old. And you know why I beat him, don't you? He had a terrible car. There was something wrong with it. This is all according to him. And, of course, I agree with him. Yep, that's why. Otherwise I would have lost big time. He would have smoked me.

And, of course, if Sam's oldest had a better car, he would have smoked his dad as well. Then we would have both been the losers. If only they didn't have such terrible cars...
And he's not gloating at all. That is not a "Look at me--I'm the winner of the race!" wave. It's just a "Hi, honey!" wave. That's all.

Coolin' off with shaved ice

And off we went to putt-putting, which is still considered cool. Even if our kids think we're dorks. And old. And to think that we think we're cool. Huh.

Sam's youngest took the lead early on and maintained that lead. I came in last. I was just takin' it easy on them since I smoked them on the track...yeah, that's it.

Just hangin' out

Lookin' like a proStarted out slow, but then picked up momentum. Did I mention that he beat me, too?

The wild animals were very tame here...What a great time for making memories. Hard to believe summer's winding down. I always say fall is my favorite season, but summer sure is a close second. And we're enjoying every second of it.

Pass the potato salad, please? Before it's all gone...sigh

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh... fun, fun, fun!

Please come here so we can do all that together! Or, let's meet in Ohio next summer and I'll show you how to "do" Cedar Point in a day! Roller coasters included! Ha!

Blessings! YBFA&F

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday, dear Stephanieeeee!
Happy Birthday,
To youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Hope it's a wonderful day, full of joy and all the things you love!

I love you, friend!
YBFA&F

Nadine said...

That looks like fun - the go carts I would definitely do.

Anonymous said...

Steph,
You're definitely having a fun summer!!! Happy Birthday (a little late I'm sure)... I'm sorry I didn't know that in advance!!!! Hope your day was fabulous!

-M